5 Tips to Stay Healthy When Away From Your Personal Trainer

High Five

1. Sleep

Sleeping is healing and the body repairs itself during this time. While you work hard at the gym during the day, your body works hard at night to make itself stronger for the next challenge. Skip electronic screens an hour before bed and you won’t trick your body into thinking it is still day light. Try to get 7-9 hours of sleep a night and you’ll be ready to train with your HomeFit consultant the next day!

2. Stretch

Stretching has been linked to better performance, lower risk of injury, and improved quality of life. While it can be uncomfortable, it is better to go through this small amount of discomfort instead of letting muscle tightness turn into a full blown injury. If you are injured, you can’t train! Give yourself the gift of 10 minutes of stretching upon waking and 10 minutes before bedtime. As Bob Harper would say, “You are only as young as your spine is flexible.”

3. Eat Real Food 

A great workout can be countervailed by a poor diet, especially one that is high in processed, low-nutrient food. A healthy weight is achieved from the 20% of exercise you do with your trainer, and the other 80% comes from your personal food choices. If you are struggling to reach a weight loss goal or a new muscle gain, make sure your diet is supporting your goals.

4.  Drink Water

You can’t live without it, and the right amount supports all life functions. When we are lacking water, dehydration can contribute to migraines, fatigue, and decreased performance. Water lubricates our joints, transports nutrients, helps to move along all our metabolic waste, and much more.

Many are unaware of all the excess calories consumed from liquids (alcohol, juice, soda), but luckily water is 0 calories, and is EXACTLY what your body needs to stay hydrated. Try to consume half your body-weight (pounds) in ounces of water. So if you weigh 150 pounds, try to drink 75 ounces of water a day.

5.  Walk

Many recent studies have cited sitting as the new smoking. Walking provides a simple free counter-balance to our daily sitting. Even if you work out every day, our modern lifestyle promotes being glued to a seat for those remaining hours, and this inactivity can lead to coronary and metabolic issues. Walking burns off extra calories, gets the blood pumping, and helps unwind stiff bodies. In addition, walking is great for our brains and our creativity. Many great minds of our time were known to go for walks.

Start incorporating these tips and pave your path towards success!

Ready to reign in your health? Birmingham, Alabama Residents – Contact me for a FREE Personal Training Consultation: CLICK HERE

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *